Friday, August 1, 2008

WOW!!!! Time is flying by...

Time has flown by! I can't believe I have already been here a month and a half! I am loving it here! The children are amazing! As I get to know them more and more; they are really trusting me and showing me their true colors! They are beautiful children! I have been teaching a lot, as well as doing the regular duties of running the center!

This past weekend has definitely been my favorite time here so far! We spent a weekend in a tiny little town in the middle of nowhere! We spent our time playing games, singing and dancing and basically just loving on 126 children, ages 7-17. The children that we spent our time with were bushman children! Which means, their parents (if they are still alive) are nomads in Africa and there is nowhere for the children to go to school unless they live at a sort of boarding school, called a hostel.

The sad facts about these kids:
A large percentage are orphans
These are the poorest of the poor
Most don't have underwear, socks, or even shoes
No towels or even toys
Most rarely see parents, even on weekends where they can go home...no one comes for them
No vaseline, lotion, soap, toothpaste, pads (for the girls)
NOTHING!



Yet they are well-behaved, caring, beautiful children! All they have is each other!

We spent the weekend with them...holding, singing and loving them! It was one of the best times of my life! I will remember them and think of them always!


This is Cruzero...isn't he precious!

and Zidan...one of the "tough" guys!!

I am teaching a class here! Sebastian, Herold, Sakkie and George! We are doing paper mache...

Some of the girls...getting ready to start paper mache!

Celestine and I on the way home... we take her home as it is very far from the center!

No comments: